Friday, January 13, 2012

Happy Birthday Hunny!!

Yesterday was my husband's Birthday and the kids and I wanted to do something special, something different!  So I thought and I searched and I thought and I searched some more for what popped out as the perfect surprise for his Birthday dessert.  I finally came across an awesome recipe for Root Beer Cupcakes  that I thought was just perfect for him.  So I looked a little more and found a few others that I just liked and knew he would too.  After gathering a few choices I asked the kids to pick one and they pretty much all picked the root beer as well.  So it was decided that was what to make!!  I gathered up the few ingredients I didn't have on hand and baked them right along with his special dinner he picked of meatloaf and mashed potatoes! They tuned out super moist and tasted exactly like promised, root beer!! After we ate I pulled the frosted mugs out of the freezer for a cute touch and instead of frosting the cupcakes I served them with Home-style vanilla ice cream that I picked up earlier. Here is what they looked like...

I layered one cupcake then one scoop of ice cream,
then another cupcake and a huge scoop of ice cream !



Here is the recipe in case you didnt catch the link above:


Root Beer Cupcakes
1 C root beer soda ( in past recipes I found out using diet is not as flavorful)
1 t apple cider vinegar
3/4 C sugar
1/3 C canola oil
1/2 t vanilla extract
2 t root beer extract (also known as root beer concentrate)
1 1/3 C flour
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
Pinch of Salt


Combine the soda and vinegar and let stand for a few minutes.
Add in the sugar and oil, whisking vigorously until slightly frothy.
Integrate your extracts, and gently introduce the flour, along with the baking powder / soda, and salt, being careful not to over mix.
Fill cupcake liners approximately 3/4 of the way to the top.
Bake at 350 F for about 18 - 22 minutes.
Makes 12 Root Beer Cupcakes Cupcakes

I found this recipe at: http://www.squidoo.com/root-beer-cupcake-recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment